06 February 2007

510: Dream text

Blogging sure is addicting. At least to me it is. Having sufficiently filled my mind with Frye for this week's class, I will spend my remaining free time relaying one of my two recurring dreams.

One of the silliest dreams I have had since I was around 9 years of age has been about dinosaurs. They aren't silly really; quite frightening actually. Silly really that I am having dreams of dinosaurs. It merits some kind of explanation (although I am really going to age myself as the youngest person in the class).

When I was around 9, my father took me to go see my first PG-13 film: Jurassic Park. I, along with many people at the time, was absolutely frightened but exhilarated by the film. After seeing for a second time, I went to the library and took out Crichton's book as well as the sequel (same name as the second film, but completely different). The book scared me so badly, I had the shut the blinds on the window next to my bed because I kept imagining velociraptors standing outside my window while I was sleeping.

Around that time I started having the dinosaur dreams. Little did I know, these dreams would remain. For the first ten years of having the dream, it was always a similar situation, although a different location. I would be somewhere familiar, sometimes at home, often at my high school. All of a sudden, people were running and screaming toward me. I look up and see the T-Rex pounding toward me. Although everybody around me is running, I hesitate. There is always some instinct in me telling me that I have to save anybody. I always wake up before I realize who I need to save or whether I escape the dinosaur's wrath.

In my late teens/early twenties the dreams changed for the worse. These dreams main tyrant are velociraptors, making the T-Rex seem like friendly dog you would want to bring home. Sometimes I am somewhere familiar, although sometimes I am somewhere that I have never been before. One dream even thrust me into the future into a house that was more like a maze. No structure exists in these dreams. They are always different and I never know when the beasts of prey are going to pop out. Some of the dreams have eggs, which I am desperately attempting to find and destroy to make my battle against the raptors a little less hopeless. Needless to say, I miss old Rexy. I never know what's coming with these terrors and know once they come into my dream, the rest of my night will be filled with tossing and turning and a lot of pillow punching.

Next recurrent dream to come: waves.

No comments: