23 February 2007

510: Thoughts on oceans

After having water dreams for years and giving a presentation on water in class, I have become fascinated by the idea of water being the image-soul’s delight in death and the ego-soul’s fear of drowning. I still haven’t wrapped my brain around it completely, but hopefully after more research and exploration into theories on water and water in literature, I will understand it more completely. Here are my thoughts thus far:

Hillman expressed the importance in looking at the type of water that is in the dream. For example, a river has the ability to suck you down whereas a vast deep lake has the ability to hold you up and allow you to float. My fascination lies in the ocean, not only because of my big waves dream but also because of the vastness. The ocean seems to contain aspects of rivers and lakes: at times it is placid and could allow you to float but at other times, the waves are large and it then has the ability to suck you in deeper than a river would. The ocean is unpredictable.

I have also thought about literature and real life stories that have portrayed men and women who travel across oceans. It seems as though people who go out seeking new land may in fact delight in the possibility of death. As I’ve already stated, the ocean is unpredictable, and nobody can know when a storm will be so bad to sink a ship. Or the explorer could have placid seas throughout the trip. They don’t know; they are going out into the unknown knowingly risking life and limb.

I still need to do a lot more pondering and research on the subject. Any suggestions of places to look/books to consider are more than welcome.

No comments: