05 February 2007

510: Response to Pans Labyrinth

In lieu of forcing myself to watch the Superbowl, I went to go see Pans Labyrinth, which I think is applicable to our class. The film was set during the Spanish Civil War and followed the story of a young girl who becomes acquainted with a faun who tells her she's the princess of the underworld. Although this part of the story was fantastical and seemed to be part of a fairy tale, the other part of the film portrayed not only the girl's hardships but also the hardship on the Spanish people during the Civil War. Although most of the film was realistic (with people telling young Ofelia to get her head out of books filled with fairy tales), there were fairy tale elements that I thought were especially relevant to what we were talking in class with the displaced fairy tales. Of course, by the end a question is stuck in the viewer's head: was it all inside her head? Did the fairies and faun visit her or was she creating hope and another world in order to attempt to escape her own personal turmoil.

I still haven't had time to wrap my brain around the film and come up with something eloquent to say, so I will just recommend that the rest of the class go see it.



Poetry coming soon. Mustering up the courage now to post them.

No comments: